How to use FIRAZYR
See the steps for treating with FIRAZYR
FIRAZYR is used to treat acute attacks of hereditary angioedema (HAE) in adults 18 years of age and older. Your healthcare provider will prescribe FIRAZYR for you, tell you when to use it, and teach you or a caregiver how to inject FIRAZYR.
FIRAZYR requires no mixing, special handling or refrigeration, so you can keep it with you when you’re away from home. Store FIRAZYR between 36°F and 77°F (2°C and 25°C). Do not freeze FIRAZYR and keep it in the original carton until you are ready to use it.
If your symptoms continue or come back, you may repeat FIRAZYR injections at least 6 hours apart. Do not use more than 3 doses of FIRAZYR in a 24-hour period.
How to inject FIRAZYR
Read the step-by-step instructions for injecting FIRAZYR® (icatibant injection) and watch the detailed injection training video for more information about the right way to inject FIRAZYR.
It is important to note that these instructions are not meant to take the place of training by a healthcare professional. For more information, please see the full Prescribing Information for FIRAZYR or talk to your healthcare provider.
You will need the following supplies:
- Your FIRAZYR carton, which includes 1 single-use, prefilled syringe and 1 needle
- An alcohol wipe
Note: The medicine inside your FIRAZYR prefilled syringe should be clear and colorless. Do not use your FIRAZYR prefilled syringe if the solution contains particles, is cloudy or has an unusual color. If you believe that your FIRAZYR injection is not fit for use or is faulty in any way, please contact Shire at 1-866-888-0660.
Remember to wash your hands with soap and water before handling any of the items needed for your injection and always handle supplies carefully to avoid contamination.
- Remove the seal from the needle cap (the needle should remain inside the protective needle cap until ready to use).
- Remove the protective cap from the end of the pre-filled syringe by unscrewing the cap.
- Hold the syringe firmly. Carefully attach the needle to the prefilled syringe containing the colorless FIRAZYR solution.
- Firmly screw the needle on the prefilled syringe. Be careful not to remove the needle from the needle cap.
- Choose the injection site. The injection site should be a fold of skin on your stomach, about 2 to 4 inches (5 to 10 cm) below your belly button on either side.
- The area you choose for injection should be at least 2 inches (5 cm) away from any scars. Do not choose an area that is bruised, swollen or painful.
- Remove the needle from the needle cap by holding the needle cap and carefully pulling the syringe. Do not pull up on the plunger.
- Use your other hand to gently pinch the fold of skin you cleaned with the alcohol wipe between your thumb and fingers for your injection.
- Hold the syringe between a 45 to 90 degree angle to your skin with the needle facing the fold of skin you are holding.
- Hold the fold of skin. Bring the syringe to the skin and quickly insert the needle into the skin fold.
- Push the plunger, at the top of the syringe, for at least 30 seconds until no FIRAZYR is in the syringe.
- Place the used FIRAZYR syringe, with the needle attached, in a sharps container (such as a red biohazard container), a hard plastic container (such as a detergent bottle), or a metal container (such as an empty coffee can). Seal the container and throw it away the right way. There may be state and local laws about the right way to throw away used syringes and needles. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist how to throw away used syringes and needles.