How FIRAZYR Works
Treat acute HAE attacks with FIRAZYR
FIRAZYR is used to treat acute attacks of hereditary angioedema (HAE) in adults 18 years of age and older. FIRAZYR is the first and only injection you give yourself just under the skin as soon as you recognize symptoms of an HAE attack, after you have been trained by a healthcare professional.
FIRAZYR blocks the protein believed to cause HAE symptoms
FIRAZYR is the only HAE treatment that directly blocks bradykinin, a protein thought to be responsible for characteristic HAE attack symptoms.
- Comes in a prefilled, single-use, self-injectable syringe
- Requires no mixing, special handling or refrigeration. Store FIRAZYR between 36°F and 77°F (2°C and 25°C).
- Lets you treat acute HAE attacks that occur in different parts of the body, including the skin, abdomen (trunk area) and throat. Note: It is important to know that attacks of the throat (laryngeal attacks) can become life threatening. If you have an HAE attack involving the throat, inject FIRAZYR as directed and then go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
How does FIRAZYR work for patients?
Watch the detailed video to see how FIRAZYR® (icatibant injection) works.
FIRAZYR is approved to treat HAE attacks
FIRAZYR efficacy and safety were assessed in clinical studies, where a range of patient responses were seen. Across the pivotal studies, half of the patients had their pretreatment symptoms reduced by 50% in 2.0 to 2.3 hours.* In Trial 1, half of the patients experienced almost complete symptom relief in 8 hours.*
Symptoms reduced by half
Almost complete symptom relief
*Across the clinical trials, patients treated with FIRAZYR (icatibant injection) had a median time to 50% reduction from baseline symptoms ranging from 2.0 to 2.3 hours, and in Trial 1, a median time to almost complete reduction of baseline symptoms in 8 hours. Patient responses may vary.
WHAT'S MORE, IN CLINICAL STUDIES:
- In the controlled studies, FIRAZYR was used to treat acute HAE attacks of the throat in 60 patients. Symptom reduction was similar to results seen for skin and abdominal attacks. It is important to know that laryngeal (throat) attacks can become life threatening. If you have an HAE attack involving the throat, inject FIRAZYR as directed and then go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away.
- FIRAZYR treated 9 out of 10 acute HAE attacks with just 1 injection.
- If your symptoms are not resolved, or if symptoms recur after your first dose of FIRAZYR, additional injections can be administered at least 6 hours apart (no more than 3 injections in a 24-hour period).
Response to FIRAZYR for multiple attacks of acute HAE
Across controlled trials (FAST-1, -2 & -3), an analysis showed that the median time to 50% symptom reduction with FIRAZYR was consistent for up to 5 separate non-throat attacks.